What is Kids Yoga?
Yoga is an important practice that can be incorporated into everyday life. It consists of teaching our minds to quiet and our bodies to calm. The benefits of yoga are vast, including decreased anxiety, improved sleep, increased flexibility and strength, improved gut health, decreased muscle tension, and promoting optimal health and wellness.
At Newbridge Health & Wellness, we not only believe that yoga is a beneficial practice for adults but for children as well. For kids, yoga creates a sense of peace, calm, and joy through the activities of poses, games, breathing techniques, and guided relaxation.
Kelsey Lauer RN, BSN, HNB-BC, and Yoga Calm Certified Youth Instructor will be teaching a series the Kids Yoga classes at Newbridge for children, ages 5 to 12, through encouraging mindful movement and peaceful play. By offering a class just for kids, students will have a safe space to learn, develop, and grow. It is a place of community where each person is respected and allowed to stretch and breathe.
During the classes, the children will learn and participate in the following:
- Body awareness and how to move in a healthy way
- Managing stress, anxiety, anger, and sadness through a yoga flow
- Breathing techniques and meditation
- Increased concentration during balancing poses
- Being a part of a “team” and feel connected to other students
- Support classmates in a non-competitive setting
- Strengthen muscles and improve flexibility
- Awareness of the breath which allows students to feel more connected to their bodies, increase focus, and decrease stress
- Learn names of anatomy groups such as muscles and how to connect movement with coordination
- Playful games to encourage group interaction, social connections, and balancing skills
- Improved posture