What can a Dietitian Do for You?
I’m excited to be a part of the Newbridge team, and look forward to meeting you! If you’ve never met with a dietitian, it can be intimidating to think about, but I’d like to assure you it is not.
The first concept I adhere to is that every person, whether adult or child, deserves individualized attention when it comes to nutrition. There may be a certain diet that tends to work best for a diagnosis, but everyone has unique circumstances that may need attention. When you meet with me, I will ask lots of questions to make sure I understand who you are, what your life looks like and what your goals are.
Secondly, the entire Newbridge team are firm believers in the impact of food on your health. After all, it is one of the primary ways you interact with the outside environment! Everything you eat has a chance to either nourish you or potentially harm you. Research and experience have shown that proper nutrition and gut health are essential in quieting inflammation and infection, and even in preventing illness. Healing the gut with nutrition and sometimes personalized supplements offers a strategic starting point to expedite healing and to help resolve seemingly unrelated symptoms you or your child may be experiencing.
Benefits to Seeing a Dietitian In Addition to Your Provider:
- Nutrition visits may result in shorter initial or follow-up provider visits, saving you money.
- Nutrition visits can often be scheduled sooner than provider visits, allowing you to get started with the healing process.
- You get a more comprehensive conversation about food and nutrition, along with practical ways to start incorporating changes right away.
What Does a Session Involve?
- Before we even meet, you will have filled out a food questionnaire to help cut down on time spent in our session discussing history so we can focus on where to go.
- I’ll get lots of detail on your food and beverage intake including what, how much, and when you eat.
- Troubleshooting if you or your child are already on a therapeutic diet and need help.
- Practical ways to implement a diet, including product ideas, cooking techniques, and more.
- Depending on your needs, we may meal plan, talk about how to build a balanced meal, how to grab healthy meals fast, cooking skills, etc.
- Before you leave, we will set goals for you to work on between sessions.
- Educational sessions: watch our class calendar, newsletter and Facebook page for upcoming educational and cooking classes for both kids and adults!
What a Nutrition Visit is NOT:
- Judgmental! The more honest you are with me about food, the more I can help. I am a firm believer in helping people where they are at and growing/learning from there.
- A waste of your time and/or money. You’ll get to ask your burning nutrition questions and leave with a plan of action as well as goals to work on until our next visit.
In Addition to Therapeutic Diets, I Can Help With:
- Weight management (gain, lose or maintain). Want to streamline your efforts in the gym? Get your nutrition in line and you will start to see results quickly.
- Body fat analysis – A quick, painless way to learn your body fat percent, lean body mass, and how much fluid makes up your weight.
- Nutrition as you age – did you know your nutrition needs are different later in life?
- Nutrition “check-up” – schedule a session to see if your diet is nutritionally adequate for you
My favorite word is “nourish.” I believe food should be a source of enjoyment and make you feel better. I am dedicated to helping you find ways to accomplish the best health you can and am here to support you in whatever way you need!